Admission to Government Medical
Colleges of Sindh
OJHA Institute of Chest
Institute of Chest Diseases, Karachi is located on main University Road. it was
founded in 1942 as small set-up of few huts, consisting of fifty-eight single
room and seven with double rooms. Mr.Deepchand Ojha contributed generously for
its establishment, hence it was named after him.
in 1948 The Ojha Institute was over to the
Government of Pakistan , in 1965 main building of hospital was constructed
having five(5) wards there was addition of 200 beds, along with Laboratories, X
- ray facilities, Operation Theaters, Kitchen and Lecture Hall, which raised the
total bed strength to 350. in 1970 Ojha Sanatorium was handed over to the of
health department Government of Sindh. in 1973 it was upgraded from Sanatorium
to the Institute of Chest Diseases and postgraduate diploma course in
Tuberculosis & Chest diseases were started.
In 1994 it was Recognized by the college of
physicians & Surgeons of Pakistan (CPSP) for the diploma course e.g. M.C.P.C in
chest diseases. 1997 Global TB unit WHO Geneva and SAARC Tuberculosis center
Kathmandu, Nepal Acknowledged this institute as Centre for Excellence in the
field of tuberculosis. This Ojha Institute has produced more than 200
postgraduate students having Diploma in Chest Diseases (DICD) and they are
serving in the country and abroad.
In December 2003 it became a constituent Institute
of the Dow University of Health Science the future Dow Medical Research city
will be located at this campus.