Admission to Government Medical
Colleges of Sindh
DOW MEDICAL COLLEGE, KARACHI
Medical College is the second oldest medical college in Pakistan and the
oldest undergraduate medical institution in the province of Sindh.
1881, the Sindh Medical School was established in Hyderabad Sindh, in the
premises of the Civil Hospital, for
training of Licentiate Physicians, drawn from the local population, these
physicians helped in providing health care to the population.
1941, the Indian Medical Council in order to introduce a uniform standard
of medical education either abolished or raised many medical schools to
the status of a medical college. After
the separation of Sindh from the Bombay Presidency, through the untiring
efforts of Dr. Holmsted, the medical school at Hyderabad was upgraded and
granted a status of a degree college, the Sindh Medical College, under the
University of Bombay, Faculty of Medicine.
the same year (1941), a
consisting of Dr. Hermandas R.
Wadhwani, the then
Minister of Public Health; Col.
J. E. Gray, the then
Inspector General of Civil Hospitals; and Mr.
Abhichand, the then
Executive Engineer was set up to
develop the plans for the Medical College. Major
(later Lt. Col. ) Aziz K. M. Khan, continued this project during
the absence of Col. Gray. This college was formally inaugurated by
Governor of Sindh, Sir Francis Moodie in Hyderabad in 1945. The first
batch of the admitted students consisted of forty-five students including
one female Muslim student.
University of Bombay with which this new institution was affiliated,
threatened to cancel its temporary recognition in the year 1944, on the
recommendation of a three member inspection committee consisting of Dr. Molgonkar, Dr. Yodh and Col. Jalal M. Shah. This committee found the staffing inadequate, and hospital
facilities meagre, and, recommended moving this institution to
Karachi, which had become the capital of the new province of Sindh.
then Government of Sindh therefore made plans for its establishment and
transfer to Karachi and the medical college was transferred from Hyderabad
to Karachi on December 31, 1945, thus de-recognition was avoided. It was temporarily housed in the N.J.V. High School
building, The foundation stone
of a new college building was
laid at this site on December 10, 1945 by Sir
Hugh Dow, the then
Governor of Sindh.
Medical College , as it was named, started functioning in the new building
in the November of 1946. In the December of 1946, Bombay University's team
of inspectors recommended to continue its affiliation for the pre-clinical
years and a conditional affiliation for the clinical subjects. The Civil
Hospital, Karachi was designated as its affiliated hospital.
1947, when Pakistan gained its independence, Dow Medical College
came under University of Sind's jurisdiction. A new committee was
appointed by the University of Sind. It visited the institution on
December 22nd, 1947 and recommended full affiliation. With the
establishment of a new University of Karachi, Dow Medical College, became
affiliated to it, and remains so up to this day.
Medical and Dental Council gave its recognition to the college in 1953.
In 1955, the General Medical Council of Great Britain accorded its
graduates full recognition.
institution remained under Government of Sindh. until the Central
Government took over on July 8, 1951. On March 7, 1962, it came under the
jurisdiction of West Pakistan Government. With the dissolution of
"One Unit", Sindh. Government assumed its control again on June
its existence, Dow Medical College, has constantly been improving
facilities for its students. In
1961, College Mosque
was built. In 1968 Arag Auditorium
was built with the efforts of Surgeon A. Rahim. In 1973, the Main
Auditorium, the new medical library and Common Room building were
established. The Main Auditorium was later named after Prof. Khawaja
Moin. By 1980, the administrative building was complete. Since
then, recreational facilities for the students have been added and it
boasts of a new Squash Court in addition to areas for basketball,
badminton and tennis.
a major project of modernization of the college is in progress. The whole
Library system has been renovated with the addition of the latest
audio-visual equipments, computers and multimedia learning resources for
the medical students. Also there will be Medline search and Internet
capabilities available for the students. Its Library also boasts of the
Hussein el Gezairy Corner, which is fast becoming a repository of all WHO
publications. Furthermore, Dow Medical College Library, welcomes all
medical researchers to make free use of its resources.
basic science departments have been extensively renovated, with the latest
laboratory facilities. The Department of Anatomy boasts of one of the best
Plastic Museum in the country. All these departments have in them
facilities for under-graduate
students as well as postgraduate research. Each department has its own
laboratory, tutorial rooms, and a full compliment of faculty members.
Medical College is one of the four medical institutions in the country to
be selected to pilot a major change in the existing under-graduate
curriculum, and is the sole institution to have successfully field tested
this Community Oriented Medical Education program. Currently it has two
tertiary care hospitals attached to it, namely Civil Hospital Karachi and
Sindh Government Lyari General Hospital Karachi. The combined bed strength
of 2200, and a staff of over 235 faculty members, makes it the largest
academic medical institution in the country.
now over 15000 doctors have graduated from this institution. That a large
number of our graduates, go on to complete their post-graduation in
Pakistan, and /or after
passing the requisite examination, easily get placement in the medical
institutions of USA, UK and other developed countries, speak volumes of
the quality of education imparted. Our
faculty has also been constantly honored by professional bodies world
wide, and they actively participate in national and international
Dow Medical College is the oldest
medical college in Sindh and the second oldest in the country, after the
king Edward Medical college Lahore. A medical school for licentiate
physicians was established at Hyderabad sindh in 1881. In 1941, when India
Medical council, ruled that medical schools be raised to the status of
collage, imparting training for the MBBS degrees, the Hyderabad Medical
School was given the status of the college, under Bombay University.
This was formally inaugurated by sir
Francis Moody, Sindh’s First Governor, after its separation from Bombay
presidency. The first batch of 45 students included one Muslim female.
This institution was shifted from
Hyderabad to Karachi, which had been declared as capital of the province.
Temporarily housed in the premises of the NJV high school, it started
functioning on December 31st 1945. Earlier, on 10th
December 1945, Sir Hugh Dow Governor of sindh laid the foundation stone of
the college renamed in this honor in the Civil Hospital Karachi, which was
designated as its affiliated hospital in 1947, on the formation of
Pakistan, Dow Medical College was affiliation with the University of sindh.
With establishment of the University of Karachi, Dow Medical College has
total bed strength of 2200 bed, making it the college with the largest
clinical teaching facility in Pakistan. Up till now, over 15000 doctors have
graduated from this institution. Majority of the graduates take up
post-graduation in Pakistan, or medical institutions abroad including USA,
UK, as they easily compete in the examinations. The faculty of this college
is honored by the professional bodies world over and they actively
participate in most of the national and international seminars and symposia,
besides many workshops.
Dow Medical College is one of the four
medical institutions in the country to be selected by W.H.O for a major
change in the existing under-graduate curriculum that is community Oriented
Medical Education (COME) program.
Pakistan Medical and Dental Council in
1953. in 1955, the General Medical Council of Great Britain accorded its
graduates full recognition.
Dow Medical College is a constitute
college of the Dow University of Health Sciences, established on 29th
Dow Medical College, has been improving
Facilities for the students. In 1961, College Mosque was built. In 1968 Arag
Auditorium was constructed with the efforts of surgeon A. Rahim. In 1973 an
Auditorium later on named after prof. khawaja Moin was built. New Medical
library and common room building were also established. Later on squash
court and facilities for other games were also presented.
All the basic science departments have
been extensively renovated having tutorial rooms, museum and a well equipped
laboratory. The Department of Anatomy has one of the best plastic Museums in
the country currently a major project of modernization of the college is in
progress. The whole library system has been renovated with the addition of
the latest audio-visual equipments, computer and multimedia, besides, a
learning resources center for the student . Medline search and internet will
also be available for the student. Library also has a Hussein-el-Gezairy
Corner, which is a repository of all WHO publications. Furthermore, Dow
Medical College Library is open to all medical researchers for free use.
The New Academic Block is under
construction. It will provide state of the art lecture halls, tutorial rooms
and Learning Center.
Medical College (DMC) is the oldest medical college in Sindh and the second
oldest in the country. A medical school for licentiate physicians was
established at Hyderabad Sindh in 1881. In 1941 this medical school was given
the status of medical college to impart training for MBBS Course. This college
was under Bombay University.
college at Hyderabad was inaugurated Sir Francis Moody, first Governor of Sindh
and the first batch of forty five students including one muslim female student
to Karachi on 10th Dec 1945. The foundation stone of the present premises was
laid by Sir Hugh Dow, the then governor of Sindh, hence the college was renamed
as ‘Dow Medical College’ in the honour of Governor of Sindh.
after the establishment of Dow University of Health Sciences, Karachi. Dow
Medical College became a constituent institution of Dow University of Health
(DMC) is affiliated with civil hospital and sindh govt. lyari general hospital
and has a toal bed strength of 2300, making it the largest clinical teaching
hospital in Pakistan.
Over 17,000 doctors have graduated from this
institution and most of them are serving within and outside the country, after
Dow Medical College has a highly qualified and
experienced faculty who have participated in many national and international
conferences, seminars and workshops etc.
World Health Organization (WHO) to include in the
Since the establishment of Dow University facilities
for students and doctors have been improved drastically. The lecture halls,
tutorial rooms museum and laboratories are air conditioned, every lecture hall
has multimedia and computers. The common
room and canteens are fully renovated. There
is a round the clock generator facility. New academic block will soon be
completed with state of the art lecture halls and tutorial rooms.
All the basic science departments have been
extensively renovated having tutorial rooms, museum and well equipped
laboratories. The department of anatomy has one of the best plastic museums in
the country. Currently major project of modernization of the college is in
Dow Medical College is a constituent college of the
Dow University of Health Sciences, established
on 29th December 2003.
NEW TEACHING STRATEGIES AND EXTRA CURRICULAR,
changes are being made in the teaching strategies at Dow Medical College.
ACADEMIC ENHANCEMENT by INTERGRATED TEACHING
integrated teaching comprises of applied knowledge in which the students are
taught basic subjects in the usual manner which is later on followed by
clinically oriented teaching sessions so as to explain the clinical application
of the basic knowledge. This is very beneficial and has really generated great
interest among students
IINTRODUCTON / IMPLEMENTATION OF SEMESTER SYSTEM
system has been introduced /implemented from first year to final year MBBS in
all constituent Medical Colleges of Dow University of Health Sciences,
This will greatly enhance the teaching standard. In future all practical, viva
and clinical examination of Dow University of Health Sciences will be
CLINICAL SKILLS TRAINING
ago the teaching of Clinical Skills was introduced right from the first year
A Skills Curriculum has been designed for each year and is being implemented
phase-wise. For this purpose a dedicated “UNDERGRADUATE SKILLS LAB” has been
formed with separate section of Medical & Allied Skills and Surgical & Allied
Skills for handson practice by each student.
Lab has been equipped with the latest training simulators and mannikins as well
as videos of all procedures. This will give the students the advantage of
a structured hand on training in all the skills required to deal with actual
Curriculum is based on the current needs of our own health setting and includes
proficiency in essential skills including monitoring vital signs,
resuscitation, common procedural skills, infection control skills as well as the
added component on hands on training, it is expected that these graduates will
more competent and effective doctors.
RESEARCH METHODOLOGY TEACHING
skills have been introduced for clinical students, Research methodology is
taught to them as they will be required to submit research on a topic in fourth
as part of their Community Medicine practical. 25 marks have been reserved for
research in the Annual Examination of fourth year MBBS.
PROBLEM BASED LEARNING. (PBL)
learning has advantages, therefore, it has been blended with standard
of medical students. They are participating actively in these learning sessions.
The teaching staff conducting these PBL sessions have been trained in this
ELECTIVES FOR MEDICAL STUDENTS
is being offered to medical students of second, third, fourth & final year to do
one month elective posting in the field of their own choice, locally or abroad,
has received a very enthusiastic response. It will expose them to a wider range
of learning opportunities and their vision will become broader.
have been organized and students have opportunity to display their talents in
the fields of football, throw ball, basketball and cricket etc.
Students Convention was held from 6th March to 8th March, 2007 in Dow Medical
College in which more than 30 Universities of Sindh participated. This event was
held in a befitting manner. Class Picnics are also arranged by Dow University,
in which everything including transport, logistics and food is funded by
Every class will be given this opportunity. Sport
facilities are also being provided and the selected teams participated in Inter
College and Inter University matches. In session 2006-07 the Girls Throw ball
team won two major Inter-University Throw ball Tournaments and Girls team also
won the First PMA Karachi Inter-Medical Collegiate / University Table-Tennis
championship 2006-07. In 2006-07 Session the boys’ cricket and football teams
were runner up in inter-university championship. The DUHS girls throw ball team
has won the 4th AKU Interuniversity throw ball tournament, for the third time in
succession in 2008.
BOYS CANTEEN & COMMON ROOM CONSTRUCTED
new boys’ canteen and common room have been constructed and it was opened
12th June, 2006. This was the long term demand of male students, who can now
enjoy this facility.
NEW ACADEMIC BLOCK
built four storey academic block also has an underground car parking. Special
care has been taken in constructing this building in maintaining
previous heritage. Nine lecture halls have been built with all modern teaching
facilities which will greatly facilitate small groups teaching. Skill Labs for
Undergraduate students has been established in this block.
The academic and administrative
blocks are being renovated with the addition of the latest audio-visual
equipments, computers and multimedia, besides, a learning resources centre for
the students. Medline search and internet will also be available to the
RENOVATIONS OF GIRLS HOSTEL, DOW MEDICAL COLLEGE
The Girls Hostel of Dow Medical College has been renovated completely.
INTRANET DIGITAL NETWORKING LIBRARY
Library has been established with 100 work stations. This state of the art
library will enable the students and the faculty members to update knowledge by
having access to twenty thousand medical journals and text books with full text,
through PERN Connectivity of Higher Education Commission which has funded this
University has also finalized a contract with the authorities of KMC sports
complex, by virtue of which the students of Dow Medical College will be given
of the sports complex so that they can use the facilities of the sports complex
even at odd times.
complex will be booked for the Dow University on every Saturday. The various
institutions of the University namely Dow Medical College (DMC), Sindh Medical
Dow International Medical College (DIMC) and Dental College of Dr.
Ishrat-ul-Ebad Khan Institute of Oral Health Sciences (DIKIOHS) on rotation
University will be paying for this contract of sports complex so as to
facilitate the students till the university’s own sports complex and gymnasium
is ready in about a years time,