limbic structure involved in many brain functions, including
emotion, learning and memory. It is part of a system that
processes "reflexive" emotions like fear and anxiety.
– governs movement.
– plays a role in processing conscious emotional experience.
Fornix – an arch-like structure
that connects the hippocampus to other parts of the limbic
– helps control skilled muscle movements, mood, planning for the
future, setting goals and judging priorities.
– plays a significant role in the formation of long-term
– contains centers for the control of vital processes such as
heart rate, respiration, blood pressure, and swallowing.
– a group of
interconnected structures that mediate emotions, learning and
– helps process visual information.
– an important
connecting pathway of the limbic system.
– receives and processes information about temperature, taste,
touch, and movement coming from the rest of the body. Reading
and arithmetic are also processed in this region.
– contains centers for the control of vital processes, including
respiration and cardiovascular functions. It also is involved in
the coordination of eye movements and balance.
– processes hearing, memory and language functions.
– a major relay station between the senses and the cortex (the
outer layer of the brain consisting of the parietal, occipital,
frontal and temporal lobes).